The Star Hotel & the Permewan Wright Building operate as The Star Hotel, and over at least 15 years we have had a hand in evolving the commercial utility of these significant buildings.
Over the last several years we rolled out successive rounds of changes and improvements to the property:
- Adapt the Star Hotel building from a café to a bar and restaurant – internal changes to the Star Hotel Building, creation of the bar and interior layout
- Adapt the Permewan Wright Building from a retail space to a bar and restaurant
- New Bar and interior layout of the Permewan Wright Building
- New verandahs to the Permewan Wright Building
- New building to link the Star Hotel & Permewan Wright Buildings
These buildings are located within the Port of Echuca Heritage Precinct, requiring that we exercise care in the design of the works to protect the significance of not only the individual buildings and the site but also the interface within the precinct.
Both buildings have a Heritage listing, with the Star Hotel listed as locally significant, and the Permewan Wright building granted a higher level of significance as a building listed on the State Heritage Register.
While the works were designed to preserve the significance, we were required to work with both the local Council and Heritage Victoria to gain approvals for these extensive adaptive reuse renovations.
Through a strong understanding of heritage requirements, excellent relationships with local and state bodies, and a focus on achieving our client's goals, we were able to protect the Heritage values of the property while adapting the spaces to allow a viable restaurant and bar to operate with maximum efficiency.
“We created a look and feel that enhances the visitor experience within these significant heritage spaces.”
– Janita Norman, Qualified Heritage Designer
Linking the buildings together created an integrated space allowing the operation of the site as a single space and the addition of a verandah for an outdoor dining area has brought back a structure that was once lost within the streetscape.
Research, design, heritage consultancy, project management, coordination of consultants, town planning permits, heritage permits, project documentation.